Thursday, July 29, 2004

history

I've been doing some reading lately, and after a long time i've been thinking about what i learned in history class, one of my least favorite subjects...there's a theory i came across, "cognitive dissonance", big words that i'll just tell you how i take it to mean and use it thus.  To me it means, simply, interpreting the events of the past using the standards, morals, and acceptableness of today.

In school, I learned to admire, people like thomas jefferson, george washington, or woodrow wilson.  We look back on things like slavery, segregation and if you care to look closer, many other effects of racism that were institutionalized.  Today, looking back, we call those events and institutions dispicable, as they certainly are, but many of the signers of the declaration of independence were slaveowners.  My point is that that was "ok" then.

What will my generation be remembered as?  Why is it not shocking to me to know that when i look for a job, I'll be more likely to get that job and hire paid than if i were a woman.  Today, the door of opportunity opens wider and faster for men than it does for women.  I read what i just wrote and am not shocked, because that's the way it is.  Why am i not shocked and appauled?  Are you?  Will this sentiment be thought of as dispicable?  Why isn't it now?

No comments: