Tuesday, September 06, 2011

My morning

With much trepidation I've made a change leaving my really good job earlier this summer. I haven't exactly taken a step down, rather I like to think of it a step slower. Up to this point my career has been moving fast; in hindsight, so many opportunities have opened up for me. I wanted to slow down and go at a slower pace. I decided to make a move and see how things would be.

I've gotten used to having a reputation and all the resources and benefits that came along with it. I've been in my new job for over a month and all those things are gone. I'm still in an adjustment period, a difficult one. I got the slow-down I was looking for and it has been tougher to deal with than I expected.

This morning though was perfect. I got up early and went out for a bike ride. I came home to lounge with Zahra, Yusuf and Nooriya in Yusuf's bed as everyone woke up. A little while later, a fully dressed Nooriya came and sat next to me for ten minutes as I did some morning reading (she preferred sitting with me to breakfast!). After getting ready for work, I came down to have breakfast at the kitchen table with Yusuf as he told me a dinosaur story. A short drive later, I'm here at my even lower stress, slower-paced job.

I got exactly what I was looking for and I'm so glad I made the change.

1 comment:

ZP said...

I am glad, also. As time passes, you will get into this new routine, this relaxed tone to the morning, and you will wonder how you ever spent year after year waking up at 5am and rushing around quietly in the dark, leaving while we all slept. These new mornings are just so much better :) :)