Thursday, August 20, 2026

Last Day

Very recently I heard someone sharing their story about a sibling with an addiction.  She had lots of emotions.  Anger, resentment, frustration, and worry were just a few.  She acted and behaved from these emotions.  Then her brother died.  She had only one feeling...regret.  She implored the audience not to act the way she did.  She referred to her last interaction with her brother as the last day.

I'm having a last day of sorts.  Nothing so dramatic as what she had.  Today, we take Yusuf to college.  I have lots of emotions.  Happiness and excitement for sure. I'm excited for him.  He's going to have so much fun!  He's going to learn new things and do new things.  This is what we wanted from the day we knew about him.

 But also extreme sadness.  

It's hard.  Things are changing.  Change is hard.  This is the end of something.  There is a next.

When I'm feeling sad, I want to come back and read this.  I want to remind myself of all the great things in store.  Even if I can't see them.  There's so much beauty in the things that come and understanding they will be beautiful.

Taher, the next is great even if you don't feel like it is right now.

No comments: